Thursday, July 3, 2014

Kill Japanese Beetles

I squished my first Japanese Beetle of the season. Japanese Beetles are voracious eaters that will chew the leaves of just about every desirable plant in your garden. Supposedly 2014 will be a light year for those nasty critters due to the dry summer and extremely cold winter last year, the frost line was much deeper this year so fewer survived into this year. You should kill those beetles every chance you can! Those you kill this year won't give you their children next year. I have had great results walking around my garden with a container of soapy water in the morning, the beetles are inactive and you can easily knock them off their branches into the water. There are differing opinions on using Japanese Beetle traps, they do kill a lot of the critters but some say they also attract more beetles to your property. Personally, I get a lot of satisfaction knowing that those Japanese Beetles are dead, dead, dead. Since this post the Japanese Beetles have increased in number. They now are chewing away at my wonderful raspberry plants. As Bugs Bunny would say "OF COURSE YOU REALIZE THAT THIS MEANS WAR!"

No comments:

Post a Comment